Saturday, February 19, 2011

How will Jet be coded?

OK, today marks the day that I actually get round to start coding Jet. Yay! I have done a load of research online on how it would be best to create Jet, and the results are varied. At first I had been quite interested in experimenting with WebGL, however support for this is minimal (just Chrome 9+ and Firefox 4+) and so it wasn't convenient to learn WebGL.
Commonly desktop games are coded in in native languages such as C and C++, however both of these languages are a nightmare. I personally code in C#, and it DirectX support no longer fully exists for it. I then began to wonder what I should do. The XNA Framework from Microsoft appeared to be a good option because it allows for the creation of complex games (just search YouTube for some examples) and provides a huge variety of libraries for game development. It is, however, a little bloated (600MB+), and I didn't fancy downloading it just to make one game.
I eventually became settled on using C#, but I still needed to choose something for 3D graphics. I eventually decided that I would pick OpenGL, as it is very compatible and small compared to DirectX and XNA. However, OpenGL was designed for C and C++, so I will therefore be using OpenTK library...

No comments:

Post a Comment